Facts About DV
Our role in domestic violence
Unfortunately, domestic violence remains prevalent in Arizona:
• Approximately 100 reported domestic violence-related deaths annually.
• Arizona ranks 4th nationally in the female domestic violence homicide rate, 45% higher than the national average.
• Arizona ranks 8th nationally for the numbers of calls to the National Domestic Violence Hotline; 41% of those calls are from Phoenix.
• Every 44 minutes in Arizona, one or more children witness domestic violence.
• Annually the Phoenix Police Department receives on average 50,000 emergency calls for domestic violence incidents (9-1-1 and Crime Stop) and they conservatively estimates that an additional 40,000 domestic violence incidents go unreported each year.
• Worldwide, one in three women are affected by domestic violence. Domestic violence does not discriminate. It affects everyone in every community.
We All Have a Role in Domestic Violence – What can you do?
More than half of all Americans over 15 know a victim of domestic violence. Nonetheless, 67% have never talked about domestic violence with friends. Even if you have never been directly affected by domestic violence, it is an issue that has a ripple effect in your community. To end domestic violence, we need to open dialogue in our communities. Here are a few ways you can start the conversation:
• Cultivate a respectful attitude towards everyone. Avoid behaviors that demean or control other people.
• Model a non-violent and respectful way to resolve conflicts. When you are angry with someone, respond without hurting or humiliating them.
• When someone jokes about domestic violence, speak up. Talk to your friends or coworkers when they belittle others, make jokes about violence, or ignore an abuse victim.
• Advocate for laws and programs that protect victims and survivors. One thing we can all do is urge our government officials to create and support programs that protect domestic violence. victims and survivors. Stay informed and contact your national and local government officials when you can.